Name given to Greenwood the Great after the growth of Sauron's power in DolGuldur (~ThA 1050). After that time black squirrels, Orcs and great spiders spread throughout the forest and the Old Forest Road was seldom used anymore. However the Woodmen and the Elves of the WoodlandRealm remained there.
In the early-middle ThirdAge, the East Bight of Mirkwood -- a great "bay" in the forest -- housed the chief dwellings of the Northmen of Rhovanion.
After the WotR Mirkwood was cleansed and renamed to ErynLasgalen.
Also called the Wood and the GreatWood?.
It's name in Sindarin was: Taur e-Ndaedelos.