- The Compendium Pages: Descriptions of the names, persons, places, things in Middle-earth and Arda, some are brief, some are longer, but they are - hopefully - always accurate (If we made a mistake somewhere, please let us know).
- The Compendium
- The Essays
- The FAQ Pages: Questions and answers about Tolkien's legendarium
- Folder TolkienBooks
- All Books
- The Authors Pages: A short description of J.R.R. Tolkien and other authors of related books
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Authors
- The Quotations: The Wisdom and the Humor of J.R.R.Tolkien
|What is this site about anyway? |
Who are we and what is our goal here? These questions will be answered here:
|Would you like to become a contributing member here? |
Are you already familiar with a WikiWeb?
- No? Then you should check out this page (I suggest you take the GuidedWikiTour from there):
- You would like to make the first steps on your own by now? The SandBox would be a good place for this, and then, if you would like to create a page, you might wish to check out CreatingPagesAndLinks.
- Find out more about our Online-Community?...
- If you would like to know who we are and what this WikiWeb is about, these pages will give you some information: TheTolkienWikiCommunity and TheTolkienWiki
- By clicking at the "Members" link in the menu bar you will get a list of all member-pages, following the links behind the membernames will bring you to their member-page. If you would like to create your own, this page will explain how you can do that: CreatingNewMemberPage
- This link at the menubar displays a list of the most recent changes made here. This - or the "Hotspots" below - will probably the first thing you check, when you are visiting or contributing frequently.
- Messages for other members...
- If you would like to leave a message for some or all members just click at the link Message-board in the menu bar. If you would like to leave a message for a particular member, the Member-page of this member would be the right place for that.
|The Hotspots |
|Copyrights and Miscellaneous |
All articles written here, remain property of their authors and must only be used on fair terms and with permission of the persons involved. Where articles result from a joint effort of more than one author, none of the authors can solely claim copyright for the article as a whole. To claim copyright or ownership, articles can be signed like this paragraph. Information found in the Compendium can be used without explicit permission, but we do ask that a statement about the source (e.g. From: www.thetolkienwiki.org) is made. -- WalterCharzewski
However, signing articles does not affect other - pre-existing - copyrights. If certain passages of text from a book are quoted, the copyright of the publishers, of course, remains unaffected.
Terms of Agreement & Obligations of All Authors:
Everyone writing here, implicitly agrees with the worldwide publication of her/his contributions in form of this WikiWeb. Each author is also responsible for the contents of her/his contributions. Each author is responsible, that with the contributions she/he makes, no other copyrights are violated. No politically radical, pornographic, pedophile or otherwise illegal or offensive contributions are permitted.
Unwanted and Off-Topic? Contents:
TheTolkienWiki is neither a medium for company- or product-promotion, nor a platform for general IT- or software-topics. The contents should in some way related to Tolkien's works.
TheTolkienWiki is not intended to be an encyclopedia or a discussion-forum (at least not in the common meaning of an encyclopedia or a discussion-forum).
Terms of Ownership:
This Wiki is the common intellectual property of all its members, but of course no member can claim individual ownership of any part of it.
However, as the host of this Wiki, I personally feel responsible for infrastructure and comfort of all members. I will try to make this Wiki a place where every member feels welcome and comfortable. And, though I can not guarantee safety at each and every moment because this Wiki is an open system, I promise to do what I can, that this system works well and all members and their contributions are protected. -- WalterCharzewski
This wiki is powered by ProWikiSoftware.
|Note: What really happened! (or so they say... ) |
and Walter said, "Behold your Music!" This is your minstrelsy; and each of you shall find contained herein, amid the design I have set before you, all those things which it may seem that he himself devised or added,--and wilt preceive that they are but a part of the whole and tributary to its glory.
Therefore Walter said: "Wiki! Let these things be!"
But when the Membership entered in to the Wiki they were at first astounded and at a loss, for it was as if naught was yet made which they had seen in the vision, and all was but on the point to begin and yet unshaped, and it was dark. And the Membership perceived that the Wiki was foreshadowed and foresung, and that they must achieve it. So began there great labours in wastes unmeasured and unexplored, and in ages uncounted and forgotten.
-- DougCreller --from Ainulindalė in The Silmarillion --well mostly
- for more in this vein see How it all started
And there, after years of labours unmeasured, after tears for beauty marred or cruelly destroyed by the Dark Evil of Ignorance, came the time when under the symbol of Tolkien Wiki, in the sands of the Great Sand Box, awoke the Firstborn Children of Wiki. And they marvelled at the things around them and they were eager to learn and give names to all the strange and unknown wonders they saw.... And Lo! The Firstborn began to speak!
From ... LhunRoss (paraphrasing Tolkien)
|Hobbits delight in such things, if they are accurate: they like to have books filled with things that they already know, set out fair and square with no contradictions. |
| The Fellowship of the Ring, Prologue, Concerning Hobbits|
or have I taken this quote out of context?